These are the (general) steps I used to setup and configure my Foscam camera.
- Initial connection to camera:
- Press Soft AP button for 3-5 seconds.
- Use laptop to search for camera wireless network. Join it.
- Launch Foscam-compatible web browser (e.g., Firefox) and connect to 192.168.1.1:88 on Soft AP network.
- Set new login id and password (from admin/).
- Do basic setup: name, time, wifi parameters, and manually configured address and http port.
- Press Soft AP button for 3-5 seconds to disconnect, causing connect to production wifi.
- Secure camera:
- Install Foscam desktop software to find camera, then update to latest firmware using browser. Firefox seems to work well (Chrome does not).
- Change default login id and password of administrative account.
- Disable these network features: DDNS, UPnP, and P2P.
- Allocate a static IP address and set a random 4-5 digit port number.
- Optional adjustments:
- Name the camera.
- Update stream settings to be consistent with network bandwidth, e.g., “Smooth Mode”.
- Update router:
- Ensure IP address assigned to camera is static.
- Open firewall to map the random port number to the camera.
- Create an account at DuckDNS, getting a subdomain of duckdns.org.
- Configure a cronjob on a local computer to update DuckDNS periodically.
- Linux, Mac OS, and other OS instructions are available.
- Configure applications (smartphone and tablet) to connect to camera.
- Owlr seems to work well.
- Use duckdns.org subdomain and assigned port number.
- Can also configure VLC with
rtsp://LOGIN:PASSWORD@MYSUB.duckdns.org:PORT/videoMain. See Foscam instructions for details and more options.
foscam_setup.txt · Last modified: 2017/02/01 14:18 by jtkorb